Saturday, February 25, 2006

Planning and Progress

I am long overdue to make another sweater. My first, Mariah-

DSC00030

-was completed about five months ago. It was fairly successful, but it's rather big on me. I would have liked more shaping and a closer fit, as well as different neckline.

For a while, I've been considering making Tubey in a solid color and edging the neckline and sleeves in knit lace in a contrasting color. However, today, this gorgeous pattern caught my eye:



It's an Adrienne Vittadini pattern from the Fall 2004 Collection. I ordered the book today, and hopefully it will arrive in the mail soon.

The lovely ladies of my knitting group and I are slated to make a field trip to Flying Fingers next week. I'm very excited (the company is the best part!), but if I don't find something perfect for the sweater, I'll save my money and order yarn online. The sweater originally calls for Martina, which is a little too luxe for my college student bank account at $15/109 yards. It's also a wool/silk blend, which doesn't sit well with the vegetarian in me. I'm thinking of subbing in Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted, possibly in Blackberry. Still a bit steep, but do-able. A work-intensive sweater deserves a nice yarn. I hope it's knit in the round.

Of course, I'll probably buy some some more hat yarn for D who wants, needs, has demanded, has politely asked for several hats in Manos and Noro. Girl's got good taste. I think I've made her a yarn snob by association.


As for the water bottle sling:
3 Water Bottle Sling WIP

Another three or four cable repeats should do it for the body before I begin the strap. I'm quite happy with this project now, particularly with how the bottom came out.

7 Water Bottle Sling

The original pattern called for me to knit the bottom in garter stitch and pick up 81 stitches around the edge, which I painstakingly did for the original. Being that I absolutely abhor picking up stitches, this time, I knit a flat circle in the round until I reached the desired number of stitches, and then I knit straight up from there. In case you're curious, the formula for knitting a flat circle is to increase by eight stitches every second round. Not by four stitches, which is what I did the first time. I wound up with a conical shape of sorts, which I desperately tried to convince myself would block out to a flat circle. Finally I admitted I was wrong and frogged once again, actually looking up the technique this time.

Time to knit!

2 Comments:

At 8:55 AM, Blogger Jenna said...

Wow, your cables look PERFECT! I've been drawn to a number of Vittadini patterns - Spring 2005 in particular - but the pricetag on her yarns makes me cringe a bit, too! I think the Lorna's Laces will work well, and I'm sure there are a ton of other substitutes out there.

 
At 9:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The company WAS fantastic indeed =)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home