Friday, February 17, 2006

A few more words about lace.

I've heard many knitters question the practicality of lace. The yarn is barely bigger than thread, the needles are itty bitty, it's most certainly not mindless work and while you have a beautiful FO, who really wears shawls? Although I wanted to tackle lace for a long time before I began my stole, it was the wearability issue that stopped me. New Year's gave me that excuse to make something special and delicate. However, in the weeks after, I found myself reaching for that stole more than any other of my handknits. I wore it like a scarf, and it had the most amazing drape. Unlike most of what I make for myself to wear in the tri-state winters, this was not about warmth, but beauty and luxury.

The evidence:

The stole and I went for ice cream at Jaxson's Ice Cream Parlor.
Before

The stole and I went for martinis at Cafe Tu Tu Tango.
Tu Tu Tango.

The stole and I went for Cuban food at Versailles. (By the way, I've heard wonderful things about Cuban food, but if you're a vegetarian, about the only thing on the menu for you to eat will be plantains in every way it can be prepared. I'm still plantained out. The coffee and pastries, though, were simply amazing.)
Versailles

Huh, from these pictures, you'd think I do nothing but eat. Although I have to admit, that's not entirely inaccurate.

So. Bottom line. Lace can be made to work for you, it's not as hard as it seems and the results are worth. Give it a try.

Oh, and that ice cream?

Yeah, that was good.
After

6 Comments:

At 10:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You know how awesome I think that stole came out - the pics are stunning and you look gorgeous

Nice to have you blogging =)

 
At 7:11 AM, Blogger Karen said...

The stole is beautiful and even more so with you wearing it! I may just have to make one of those for myself. ~Karen

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Holmes 3 said...

See all that hard work and fustration paid off, not only did you get a GREAT stole, but a scarf that everyone will want. Just be careful not to let it fall into the ice cream, which by the way is just way to tempting! - Jeanette

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Charisse said...

welcome to blog land ....
I love the photos.

 
At 3:42 PM, Blogger me myself and i said...

you are such a talented knitter!!!

Rebecca
and the ice cream looks yummy too!!

 
At 8:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the lace!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home